Skip to main content

Winifred Pifer Elementary

Our Namesake

Our Namesake: Winifred Pifer

Winifred Pifer devoted 36 years to teaching, including 32 years in Paso Robles, earning a lasting place in the community through her dedication, high expectations and care for generations of children.

A black and white portrait of a smiling Winifred Pifer

Winifred Pifer Elementary School is named in honor of a dedicated educator who devoted 36 years of her life to teaching children, including 32 years serving students in Paso Robles.

Winifred Sarah Pifer was born May 15, 1897, in Chase Mills, New York, along the St. Lawrence River. The daughter of James and Emma Pifer, she attended Potsdam State Normal College and earned her teaching credential.

Pifer taught for one year in New York before moving to San Luis Obispo County in 1919. She spent a year teaching at Pleasant Valley School in San Miguel and three years at Union School before joining the Paso Robles Elementary School District in September 1923.

For the next 32 years, Pifer made Paso Robles schools her professional home.

Former colleagues remembered her as quiet and kind. Dollie Bader, who served on the school board while Pifer was teaching, recalled that she was a “quiet, lovely person who always seemed to have time for you.”

A 1979 retrospective on Pifer and fellow educators Georgia Brown and Marie Bauer described the three women as important contributors to the success of Paso Robles schools. They combined classroom discipline and authority with devotion to their work and genuine care for children, inspiring enthusiasm for learning among their students.

One surviving photograph captures Pifer with a large group of fourth-grade students during a 1941 field trip to Paso Robles City Park—a glimpse of the generations of local children who knew her not as a historical namesake, but simply as their teacher.

Pifer’s commitment to children and community extended beyond the classroom. She was deeply involved in the Paso Robles Methodist Church, where she served as president of the Wesleyan Service Guild, sang in the choir, led the Primary Department of the Sunday School, served on the church’s official board, and chaired its Christian Missionary Education Committee.

Pifer remained an active educator throughout her life. In December 1955, while serving as a fourth-grade teacher at Georgia Brown School, she died suddenly at her home during a Methodist Church social gathering.

Her community honored her the following year. Winifred Pifer School was named posthumously in recognition of her dedication to education and to the children she had taught throughout her 36-year career. The school was dedicated in October 1956.

Nearly four decades later, the school began a new chapter. A new campus was constructed at 1350 Creston Road, and on September 6, 1994, the community gathered for its dedication. District records from the ceremony specifically note that the Winifred Pifer name transferred with the students from the former school, ensuring that her legacy remained connected to the school community even as it moved to a new location.

Today, Winifred Pifer Elementary continues to carry the name of an educator remembered not only for the length of her service, but for the quiet dedication and personal care she gave generations of children.

 


 

With Thanks to the Paso Robles History Museum

PRJUSD gratefully acknowledges the Paso Robles History Museum for its support in researching the educators and community leaders whose names are carried by our schools. The Museum’s archives, photographs, newspaper clippings and historical records helped bring these stories to life and preserve important details about the people who helped shape education in Paso Robles.

We encourage readers to visit the Paso Robles History Museum to explore even more local school history in person, including Paso Schools articles, photographs, memorabilia and other materials that connect today’s community with generations of Bearcats who came before us.

  • ""
    Winifred Pifer takes her 4th grade students on a field trip to City Park, 1941